My name is Ed Rempel, the main Wise Guy on this site. I am a financial blogger and a CFP Professional with a ton of real life financial planning experience. I am passionate about writing and driven to share my insights.
Welcome to my discussion forum. It is a new resource for people looking to learn how to achieve financial freedom. This is also the place you can get real answers to those financial issues that have been on your mind.
I see things differently. I see from experience what does and what doesn’t make people successful with their money. I am a fee-only financial planner that has seen the complete finances of thousands of Canadians.
One of my favourite things to do is to point out false facts – the conventional wisdom most people believe that just is not true or that is less than optimal. Read the Unconventional Wisdom articles to see my version of humour.
Being an industry insider, I see “financial quackery” – sales pitches made to look like advice. Most advisors pretend to do financial planning and use “placebo advice” (feel-good bad advice), The investment industry consistently markets the wrong products and creates the worst products for high net worth investors. Pointing out industry shortcomings is fun!
I also see what the industry does right – and how to find quality products and advice.
The media is mostly “financial porn” – short-term thinking and focused on a few hot-button issues. It is also a keeper of the “conventional wisdom” I like to poke fun at.
Come to this site to find out what’s wise and what’s not.
I built one of the largest financial planning firms in Canada and found there was hardly any competition for my practice. People look at me funny when I say that, but it’s true. I attribute my success to focusing on financial planning, while most advisors focus on selling investments. People do not need an investment salesperson. They need someone to focus on their life and future plans. Someone to help them make smart decisions.
My experience includes:
- 22 years as a certified financial planner professional (CFP® Professional).
- 33 years as an accountant (CPA, CMA).
- 9 years as a guest author on the popular Million Dollar Journey blog.
- Building one of the largest financial planning practices in Canada.
- Writing comprehensive and personal financial plans for nearly 1,000 families.
- Helping more than 600 clients follow their financial plans.
- Managing more than $100 million in investments.
- Writing courses on financial planning & investing, and educating 216 financial advisors at several of the largest credit unions.
- Expert in some effective strategies, such as the Smith Manoeuvre, Lifecycle Investing (sometimes called “Smith Manoeuvre for renters” or “Smith Manoeuvre for Millennials”), Cash Dam, and Rempel Maximum, as well as tax strategies for self-employed and retirees.
- Creator of the “Rempel Maximum” strategy.
- Completing the Certified Hedge Fund Specialist program with the highest mark in Canada.
- Semi-retiring in my 50s to focus on my passion for writing. I want to make difference for Canadians.
I have been covered in many publications, including the #1 industry publication for financial planners, the Investment Executive:
- Financial Literacy, the Web Way – Interview about how I used social media to educate. This appeared on the front cover of the #1 industry publication.
- Winning Strategies – Video interview about my passion for educating the public through blogs and webinars.
I constantly receive impromptu testimonials and thank yous. Here are are just a few comments from clients.
I am a financial blogger and fee-only financial planner in the Toronto area. I have taken a step back from my practice to focus on writing to educate and entertain. I love writing and talking finance.
I also love reading, ever since taking a speed-reading course, and have 9 full bookshelves. I am fascinated by physics and space. I am loyal to my Toronto Argonauts and the Leafs. (They really will be better next year.) I enjoy learning, theatre, fine dining, cruises, and good company.
This discussion forum
Let’s start a discussion. Please ask questions or comment below the articles – and send me your feedback, topic suggestions and burning financial issues.
Please note that while I am a financial planner, nothing on this site can be considered advice. I don’t know your situation or whether any insight, no matter how wise, is a good idea for you specifically.
Consider this site to be your source for experienced, quality, professional insight. Find out what’s wise and what’s not.
Ed Rempel, CPA, CMA, CFP®
CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER® Professional