The #1 most satisfying part of being a financial planner is making a difference in people’s lives. The #2 most satisfying part for me is a cool strategy that really works.
For finance geeks like me, effective strategies are so satisfying!
My favourite strategy is the Smith Manoeuvre. I have become known for being an expert in the Smith Manoeuvre after helping hundreds of people implement it. From 2005-8, it was a very popular strategy. It was being heavily marketed and many were doing it badly, most commonly by taking income from the investments. The crash of 2008 was the ultimate test. People that maintained the strategy and were doing it correctly are now in good shape.
The Smith Manoeuvre works and is an exceptional strategy – when the right people do it, implement it properly and stick with it long term.
The Smith Manoeuvre is not one strategy. There are 7 categories of Smith Maneouvre strategies, and many ways to implement each one. It is a treasure of strategies!
But it is only one of many cool strategies – and by no means the coolest.
On this page, I’ll will discuss various strategies, such as:
- The 7 Smith Manoeuvre strategies – The only source for all 7 strategies.
- Lifecycle Investing – Reduce risk by diversifying across time. Sometimes called “Smith Manoeuvre for renters” or “Smith Manoeuvre for Millennials”.
- Dividend and corporation strategies for business owners to optimize tax savings.
- “Cash Dam” – Use your non-incorporated business or rental property to make your mortgage tax deductible.
- RRSP top-ups – Increase your RRSP contributions up to 67% without using your cash flow.
- Strategies for low income seniors (the highest taxed Canadians). Maximize GIS income and minimize clawbacks on seniors.
I will also tackle some of the truly challenging issues, such as “Millionaire Seniors Living in Poverty”.
These articles are about cool strategies:
- The Smith Manoeuvre – Is your mortgage tax deducitible?
- Smith Manoeuvre – Convert your mortgage to tax deductible interest
- Smith Manoeuvre – Is your mortgage tax deductible? (Video)
- TFSA, RRSP or Both?
- The Optimal RRSP/TFSA Contribution
- 7 Steps to Determine Your Optimal RRSP/TFSA Contribution Strategy
- Case Study: Figuring Out Your Optimal RRSP/TFSA Conbribution
- Converting Income to the Right Type with Corporate Class Funds
- Clawback Strategies
- TFSA vs RRSP – Clawbacks & Income Tax on Seniors
- Top 5 Asset Allocation Strategies
- Lifecycle Investing – The Benefits of Diversifying Across Time
- Is 100% Tax-Efficient Investing Possible?